Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Heat Wave Hits Western Washington

Dear Lucy,
Finally, it looks like summer has arrived with a bang as we are in the middle of a heat wave here. Now, now, I know that those of my friends and family in the hotter states are laughing at my whining, but it hit a high of 97 degrees here yesterday.
We Western Washington folks for the most part, don't have air conditioning in our domiciles. We spend 11 1/2 months of the year in moderate temperatures and laugh at the thought of air conditioning most of the time.
Rain gear? We got it by the ton.
Cold weather jackets? Hardly ever even put away.
But air conditioning or sunglasses? You are joking. I haven't seen my sunglasses in two years. When I went on my trip I had to buy a new pair. They will certainly be lost before the end of summer.
So, we are buying fans or going to our storage units to get them out of moth-balls, digging out the shorts, searching for last year's sun screen we only used once, and sweating.
I can't complain really. In a couple of months it will be getting cold again, and raining, and the days will get shorter and the nights longer, and I will try and remember the time last summer I complained about the heat and swore I would put the sunglasses where I can find them next time.

--Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment