Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Leaving on a Slow Train


Dear Lucy,

On May 6, 2009, being of sound body but unsound mind I left job, home, friends, and family to "run away from home". This was a last-ditch effort to avoid letting the stress and craziness of the past 5 years of my life get the best of me.


I loaded up my backpack, my bicycle and two paniers (that's sissy talk for saddle bags) and boarded an Amtrak train. I left at 8:30 am from Bellingham, Washington.


Having never tried to ride my bicycle loaded with a backpack and paniers, I checked in at the station and took the wait time to try it out.


I managed to get all sundry in their right places and took off at a not so whopping speed around the parking lot, and having convinced myself that I could navigate such a seeming impossibliity, I loaded my bike, stuff and self on the train and set off for my first stop

Portland, Oregon


--Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment