Friday, October 30, 2009

To the Fabric Store

Dear Lucy,
Don't aspirate anything important, but Suzie and I went to the fabric store today. I know; me at a fabric store. I didn't cut myself on any of the material.
Suzie is going to be a grandma. Twins. Boys. She loves to sew. Need I say more?
We bought some material and patterns and she has been happily busy at the dining room table ever since.

I am in awe of her. That anyone could take material and a paper pattern and lay it all out and understand what they are doing amazes me.
I never learned that stuff. Partly because I just wasn't interested and partly because I am left handed. I think being left handed flummoxed my mother. She had taught Suzie and my other sister Nancy to sew but when I came along and everything had to be done backward, she lost it.
She tried for an hour (God bless her she was patient) to try and show me how to knit when I was young. No go. Sewing, even on a machine, was backwards for me.

I did learn how to iron by watching her and then just adjusting to a lefty. The ironing board was set up opposite what Mom did. She would watch me iron and cringe.
I also went through this in PE class in school. Every new sport. Left handed. Drove the teachers crazy. When I go to a restaurant with a group, I have to play musical chairs because I am left handed. Anne was so used to it, she would just naturally have me pick a seat first.

So, I leave the sewing and knitting and crocheting and basket weaving to others.
And to this day when someone says those immortal words to me, "Wow, you're left-handed!", I still manage to avoid looking astounded and saying, I AM???
--Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment