Saturday, October 17, 2009

20th anniversary of Earthquake


Dear Lucy,
Ah, time flies when you're having fun. Today is the 20th anniversary of the Loma Prieta earthquake that struck the San Francisco Bay area. It was a 7.1, the hardest quake I had ever felt and I grew up in California.
I had just gotten home from work and was lying down to take a nap having just started my period that day.
The quake lasted 15 seconds and took out the Nemitz freeway (it was a double decker that pancaked on itself trapping hundreds of commuters) and a section of the Bay Bridge.
It was the quake that made me paranoid of earthquakes to this day and is one of the reasons Anne and I never moved to Alaska. I could deal with working through the cold and high cost of living in Alaska, but not that AND gnarly earthquakes.
I wouldn't wish anyone to experience a quake as hard as Loma Prieta. I was sure that was the day California was going to, "fall into the ocean".
--Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment