Thursday, October 15, 2009

'Tis a Day to Make Soup

Dear Lucy,

"Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble." (That's Shakespeare)

I am finally doing it; making a pot of Borscht using Anne's recipe handed down from her grandmother.
I am not going to such an extent as Anne did for she had a huge cast-iron soup pot big enough to bathe a small child in.
She would fill this monster to the tippy-top by the time she was through.
Not I.
First off, I don't have such pot and secondly, I don't have the room for that much soup.
I have never made Borscht. This recipe is not the one with beets in it, rather, it is Peasant Borscht. Only the rich, according to Anne, could afford the luxury of beets.
There was a meat sale going on at the local grocer which is what got me to make this soup. I am at this very minute boiling the hunk of flesh in water with dill and parsley until the beef waives the white flag of surrender.
Then I shall remove the meat and add the rest of the ingredients which include cabbage and sour kraut. Mmmm, gassy!
When done, one puts a dollop of sour cream in it and eats it with a slice of crusty bread slathered in butter.
Those Russians know how to live!
--Kathy

2 comments:

  1. Heh,heh,heh, had to forego the vegetarian diet. Doing the diabetic deal :(

    ReplyDelete