Friday, July 26, 2013

To Hike the Appalachian Trail

Yes, it's true.  I have decided that between now and
five years, I want to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail.  It's crazy, I know.  It is an arduous 2200 some odd miles from North Georgia to Maine.
I can't say that the idea of hiking the entire thing has crossed my mind as from what I have read, within those 2200 miles is 91 miles of vertical climb.
As I scan Youtube videos and shop for ultralight gear, I am also trying to wrap my head around WHY.
Maybe that is why I have given myself five years to do this.  It's the why.
In his book, "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson he says that, "the central feature of life on the Appalachian Trail is deprivation".  Sounds like fun, eh?
But, what drives most people is the idea of doing something awesome; something few people have done.  It is also the desire to filter out as much of the annoyances of life--cell phones, deadlines, demanding bosses-- and distill life to the essentials.
As I have been leaning more and more to a minimalist lifestyle, this endeavor seems fitting; and as I have no retirement and shall likely end up eating cat food and living in a cardboard box, this may be the best training ever.
More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment